Taken over the past decade, Upstate Girls by Brenda Ann Kenneally is a photographic series that depicts people living below the poverty line in Troy, New York. The photographer and 'digital folk artist' hails from Troy herself and is dedicated to documenting the people of Troy's struggles. The town is dealing with many social problems, one of which is 70% of poor households are headed by single mothers.
As shown in Slate, these particularly poignant portraits of Troy residents are very revealing. Brenda Ann Kenneally makes a point of getting to know her subjects -- their stories, family background, children, etc. -- to better share their experiences with the world. She also keeps track of her subjects, coming back to them and learning of new developments.
Brenda Ann Kenneally Documents People Living Below the Poverty Line
1. Documentary Photography - The trend of documentary photography showcases the power of visually capturing social issues and can be utilized as a means of raising awareness and driving social change.
2. Poverty Awareness - The trend of poverty awareness highlights the importance of shedding light on the struggles faced by individuals living below the poverty line, sparking conversations and inspiring action to address inequality.
3. Personal Storytelling - The trend of personal storytelling emphasizes the significance of sharing the stories and experiences of individuals facing adversity, allowing for empathy, understanding, and potential solutions to be found.
1. Photography - The photography industry can leverage the trend of documentary photography to create impactful visual narratives that shed light on important social issues and drive change.
2. Social Advocacy - The social advocacy industry can utilize the trend of poverty awareness to raise awareness, advocate for policy changes, and support initiatives aimed at addressing poverty and inequality.
3. Media and Communications - The media and communications industry can embrace the trend of personal storytelling to amplify marginalized voices, provide a platform for sharing experiences, and foster a deeper understanding of social issues.