Founded in May 2020, Ebony Crown is an online marketplace for curated Black-owned beauty and hair businesses. The start-up was created in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement to highlight Black-owned hair and beauty businesses and increase their reach for the demographics they are able to serve.
Ebony Crown is passionate about the philosophy that money spent in the Black hair and beauty space should go back to Black-owned companies. As founder and CEO Onyekachi Amadi reports, "Only 15% of the $2.5 billion dollars spent in the black hair and beauty market go to Black entrepreneurs. It doesn't make sense that so much of our money is being given to companies that don't invest back into our communities or have a workplace/company reflective of the demographic they cater to."
Image Credit: Ebony Crown
Ebony Crown's Marketplace Curates Hair & Beauty Businesses
1. Black-owned Beauty Marketplaces - Online marketplaces featuring curated black-owned hair & beauty businesses are on the rise, catering to the demand for diverse representation in the beauty industry.
2. Community-driven Beauty Brands - Brands that prioritize community engagement, sustainability, and social responsibility are disrupting the beauty industry and winning over customers who value these principles.
3. Personalized Beauty Boxes - Subscription-based personalized beauty boxes are trending, offering a convenient and affordable way for consumers to discover and try new black-owned beauty brands and products.
1. E-commerce - E-commerce platforms can benefit from the rise of black-owned beauty marketplaces by offering tailored marketing and promotional opportunities for these businesses.
2. Beauty - The beauty industry can leverage this trend by investing in more black-owned companies and developing products that cater to diverse hair and skin types.
3. Social Justice - Organizations that prioritize social justice and equal representation can partner with and support black-owned beauty marketplaces to drive positive change in the industry and promote diversity and inclusion.