These Matryoshka-inspired 'Babushka' lights by Mathmos Design Studio modernize the classic lava lamp and give it a Russian twist. In place of wax, however, these lamps are illuminated with chip-controlled LEDs.
The 'Babushka' lamp cycles through a color scheme of red, pink, purple, and blue, and each color reflects a different aspect of the Matryoshka dolls.
Implications - Companies like Mathmos Design Studio know that even something as supposedly outdated as lava lamps can be dramatically reinvented into new and exciting products. By taking an old fad and reinterpreting it with new technology and aesthetic inspirations, they demonstrate that creativity and a willingness to embrace ingenuity is something that consumers will respond to in a very positive way.
‘Babushka' Light by Mathmos Design Studio
1. Modernized Lava Lamps - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore ways to update and reimagine traditional products using new technology.
2. Matryoshka-inspired Designs - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Combine elements from different cultures to create unique and captivating products.
3. Chip-controlled Leds - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate chip-controlled LEDs into various lighting products for enhanced functionality and versatility.
1. Interior Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate technology and cultural elements into lighting and decor for modern and eclectic interiors.
2. Home Furnishings - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop innovative lighting solutions that are both aesthetically pleasing and technologically advanced.
3. Consumer Electronics - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the use of chip-controlled LEDs in other electronic devices to enhance their performance and user experience.