While the idea of autonomous public transportation isn't new, it seemed up until quite recently that it was a concept that was still being tested and fleshed out -- but that might not be the case thanks to the city of Beverly Hills, California. The city's council has put into motion a program to develop such transportation in the very near future.
It would work with citizen's smartphones and ensure a safe and convenient service that would not replace the existing infrastructure, but augment it. Through autonomous public transportation, would be able to "solve the 'first/last mile' problem for residents using the city's future subway — the Purple Line Extension — to get in and out of the city," according to Beverly Hills Mayor John Mirisch, writes the Verge.
Beverly Hills Discusses a Program to Develop Futuristic System
1. Autonomous Public Transportation - The development of autonomous public transportation systems is gaining traction, providing a safer and more convenient mode of travel.
2. Smartphone Integration - Integrating smartphones into public transportation systems allows for improved communication and personalized user experiences.
3. 'first/last Mile' Solutions - Autonomous public transportation offers a solution to the 'first/last mile' problem, bridging the gap between major transit hubs and destinations.
1. Transportation - The transportation industry has the opportunity to transform urban mobility through the implementation of autonomous public transportation systems.
2. Smartphone Technology - Smartphone technology companies can capitalize on the integration of smartphones with public transportation systems, offering innovative solutions and services.
3. Urban Planning - Urban planners can explore the potential of autonomous public transportation to enhance urban connectivity and tackle the 'first/last mile' problem.