This infographic by equestrian supplies shop Edgemere shows exactly why animals on the Internet are so popular. All sorts of animals, from cats, dogs and turtles, have gathered huge followings online and have taken over social media. It is astonishing to think that Grumpy Cat and a cobra that escaped the Bronx Zoo gained celebrity status that surpasses people like Steve Carell and Paul McCartney on Twitter.
But this is not just a phenomenon that is Twitter-centric. The popularity of these animals has widespread across all social networks, from YouTube to Tumblr. Edgemere suggests that the popularity of pets on social media is due to a combination of their cuteness with the ease of projecting human qualities on them.
This Graphic Explains Why Animals on the Internet are Loved
1. Internet Pet Celebrities - There is an opportunity to monetize the popularity of these animals by partnering with them in cost-per-click advertising, brand placements, and product endorsements.
2. Pet Influencers - A trend in the making is to produce items specific for certain animal breeds or personalities and then having pet influencers promote those items to their followers.
3. Pet Focused Social Networks - Entrepreneurs can create a niche-focused social media platform where pet owners and animal lovers can connect, share content, and buy pet-related products.
1. Pet Supplies - Traditional pet supply retailers can create social media accounts for their mascots and highlight their products, making it easier for customers to find and purchase their items.
2. Digital Advertising - This trend provides an opportunity for digital advertisers to leverage pet celebrity followers and influence by promoting products using programmatic advertising.
3. Entertainment - There is an opportunity for entertainment companies to produce and distribute content featuring celebrity pets, such as TV shows and web series.