Androgynous male models with eyes lined in black took the runways at Milan Fashion Week to show off Gucci’s Fall 2008 Collection which was designed by Frida Giannini.
From a London blue topaz velvet suit paired with a skinny scarf and patterned shirt to a teddy bear brown velvet suit, the look evoked visions of Eastern European gypsies, while oddly, at the same time, bringing to mind images of a younger David Bowie.
They carried man purses with patterns that looked as if they were inspired by Oriental carpets.
The color pallet centered around warm shades of brown, contrasted with oddly complimentary navies and cobalts. Fabrics were luxurious, from velvets to leather and opulent furs, perfect for the intended cooler temperates of the fall collections. In keeping with the season, the models were bundled from head to toe, necks covered in nearly every look, either by voluminous turtle necks or patterned scarves.
Several outfits featured belts tied at the front, some accessorized with coins and charms, the open tail cascading down their left hips, again, bringing back those gypsy notes.
Later in the show they began throwing in splashes of red on accessories like belts or embroidered shoulder pads. The show ended in a classic hue, the models dressed in different shades and textures of black.
Gucci Fall 2008 Collection in Milan
1. Androgynous Fashion - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop gender-neutral clothing lines that challenge traditional fashion norms.
2. Luxury Fabrics - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create sustainable and cruelty-free alternatives to luxurious materials like furs and velvets.
3. Accessories Revival - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introduce modern and innovative designs for accessories like man purses and patterned scarves.
1. Fashion - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the fusion of Eastern European and Western fashion to create unique and captivating collections.
2. Textile - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop advanced fabric technologies that combine warmth and luxury with sustainable and eco-friendly properties.
3. Accessory - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Redefine the concept of accessories by creating functional and trendy designs that cater to diverse fashion preferences.