In a world that has been riddled by the aftereffects of industrialization and a cultural emphasis on all that is new and shiny, the Ancient Tree Forum exists to protect and preserve the UK's veteran trees.
Like the giving tree in Shel Silverstein's perennially popular children's book, ancient trees are the epitome of selfless service. An ancient tree provides shelter, protection and sustenance for every living creature over centuries; it's no wonder that the Ancient Tree Forum environmentalists strive to protect these silent giants.
The Ancient Tree Forum has partnered with the Woodland Trust to raise awareness of the inherent value of old trees and ancient woodland. Among their current projects is one with the People's Trust for Endangered Species to create a national inventory of traditional orchards after statistics were released that indicate these orchards have declined by nearly 60% in the last 50 years.
The Woodland Trust and the Ancient Tree Forum have begun to purchase an 850-acre woodland creation site with donated funds, on which they'll plant trees to extend the current woodlands. If they are able to purchase the full parcel, it will be the first continuous native forest of its size in England. Unfortunately, they must complete the purchase on September 30.
The Ancient Tree Forum Conserves and Preserves
1. Protection and Preservation of Ancient Trees - Opportunity for businesses to develop technologies and services that support the protection and preservation of ancient trees.
2. Raising Awareness of Old Trees and Ancient Woodland - Potential for businesses to create educational campaigns and experiences that raise awareness about the value of old trees and ancient woodland.
3. Restoration and Expansion of Woodlands - Disruptive innovation opportunities exist for businesses to develop sustainable solutions for restoring and expanding woodlands, particularly in the context of creating native forests.
1. Environmental Conservation and Preservation - Businesses in this industry can explore partnerships and initiatives that focus on the conservation and preservation of ancient trees and woodlands.
2. Ecotourism and Nature Education - Opportunities for businesses to create immersive and educational experiences related to old trees, ancient woodland, and the value of biodiversity.
3. Sustainable Forestry and Land Restoration - Innovative businesses can develop sustainable forestry practices and solutions for restoring and expanding woodlands, including the creation of native forests.