Wellborn Cabinet Inc.'s 'Active Living' cabinets are built under the principles of universal design. Universal design is the idea that spaces should be created in such a way that anyone can use them, no matter the user's impediments or handicaps. As one might imagine, the kitchen is a common room that could benefit from universal design, and the Active Living series is a step in that direction.
The Active Living cabinet series includes features that make cabinets as easy to use as possible. This includes being built with smooth sliding tracks and even an inventive system that can lower overhead storage to help people in wheelchairs.
The impetus behind Wellborn's cabinetry is to encourage aging in place. The Baby Boomer demographic is aging, and they understandably would prefer to stay in their own homes rather than moving to retirement communities. The Active Living cabinets help them to remain home longer.
Wellborn's 'Active Living' Cabinets Adhere to Universal Design
1. Universal Design Cabinets - Opportunity for companies to capitalize on universal design principles to produce products for ease of use by a wider demographic.
2. Aging in Place - Opportunity for companies to provide products and services for the aging population to remain in their homes longer.
3. Accessibility in Home Design - Opportunity for companies to create more accessible home products that can be used by a wide range of people, regardless of mobility.
1. Home Improvement - Companies specializing in home improvement can leverage universal design principles to create more accessible products for homeowners, especially for the aging population.
2. Cabinet Manufacturing - Cabinet manufacturing companies can invest in creating cabinets geared towards those who seek products with ease of use, regardless of mobility.
3. Construction - Construction companies can integrate universal design principles into their home designs for increased accessibility.