Located at Fire Station at Vitra Campus in Weil am Rhein, Germany, the Vitra installation by Zaha Hadid for Swarovski is a prime example of the "advanced design and manufacturing technologies available today," as explained on the design page.
Consisting of five separate components, the structures feature sharply angled planes with prismatic facets and futuristic style elements weighing 300-500kg. The design reflects the designer's successful experimentation with visualizing complex forms, being described as 'a direct translation of the dynamic two-dimensional lines and planes on the canvas,' where a 2D sketch becomes a substantial structure.
The Prima installation by Zaha Hadid for Swarovski is completed with a highly polished finish made from composite materials which are then covered with a metal coating in a gun-smoke grey finish.
Prima by Zaha Hadid for Swarovski Features Sharp Angles
1. Advanced Manufacturing Technologies - The use of innovative technologies and techniques in manufacturing can allow for the creation of complex and visually striking designs.
2. Futuristic Style Elements - Designs featuring sharp angles, prismatic facets, and other futuristic elements can help create a unique and visually memorable aesthetic.
3. Direct Translation of 2D Concepts to 3D Structures - By using advanced visualization tools and manufacturing techniques, designers can directly translate complex 2D sketches into substantial and visually striking 3D structures.
1. Architecture and Urban Design - Innovative manufacturing techniques and futuristic design elements can help architects and urban designers create visually stunning and unique buildings and structures.
2. Art and Sculpture - Advanced manufacturing technologies can allow artists and sculptors to create complex and visually striking pieces that would be difficult or impossible to produce using traditional techniques.
3. Product Design and Manufacturing - By using innovative manufacturing techniques and futuristic design elements, product designers and manufacturers can create visually striking and highly unique products that stand out in crowded markets.