Yasuhiro Suzuki has come up with light fixtures that are extremely soft due to being made out of silk cocoons. The project is called 'Re-Cocoon,' and the "idea for the work derived from the designer’s curiosity of silk as an architectural material," as stated on DesignBoom.
Suzuki was please with its qualities, such as being smooth, lightweight and relatively easy to work with (as well as durable). As such he began to experiment with what could be done with this material. A special machine is used to grab the material and put it together in a certain way, as doing everything by hand was a bit too much work and not as efficient.
Since the lamps are made from silk, they are sustainable and environmentally friendly to use in the home.
Photo Credits: designboom, yasuherosuzuki.tumblr
Re-Cocoon by Yasuhiro Suzuki Features Intricate Lampshades
1. Silk Cocoon Lighting - Silk cocoon lights offer a unique, soft lighting experience and present opportunities to explore innovative uses of silk in architectural design.
2. Sustainable Lighting - The use of silk cocoons in light fixtures provides a sustainable and environmentally friendly option for home lighting, paving the way for more sustainable lighting solutions.
3. Material Innovation - The exploration of silk as an architectural material opens up possibilities for material innovation and the creation of new, lightweight and durable design applications.
1. Lighting - The silk cocoon lighting trend offers opportunities for the lighting industry to design and produce unique, soft lighting fixtures using sustainable materials.
2. Interior Design - The use of silk cocoon lights in interior design presents an opportunity for designers to create visually appealing and sustainable lighting solutions for residential and commercial spaces.
3. Textile Manufacturing - The exploration of silk as an architectural material in the 'Re-Cocoon' project highlights potential disruptive innovation opportunities within the textile manufacturing industry, such as the development of new techniques for working with silk cocoons.