Lea Redmond's World's Smallest Postal Service is by far my favorite miniature version of an existing product. Redmond is a clever transcription service that lets you select up to six sentences for a miniature letter that is actually sealed and mailed.
According to Redmond's site, she uses stationery that is 1" x 1.5" and a microscopic ink pen. She seals, addresses and stamps these miniature letters in their own tiny envelopes with a personalized wax seal. Each completed miniature envelope then is placed into a clear case--with a magnifying glass, naturally--and is mailed to your chosen recipient.
While Redmond typically works out of stores and shops, she also takes orders on her website, which you can view at the Read More URL.
World's Smallest Postal Service
1. Miniature Products - The growing trend of miniature products creates an opportunity for disruptive innovation in the manufacturing and personalization industries.
2. Transcription Services - Transcription services that offer unique and personalized handwritten options can disrupt the traditional digital transcription industry.
3. Micro Printing - Micro printing technology presents opportunities for disruptive innovation in the printing and graphic design industries alike.
1. Stationery - The stationery industry can adapt to the trend of miniature products by offering smaller versions of their existing products.
2. Personalized Gifts - The personalized gifts industry has an opportunity to provide more unique and memorable options with the addition of transcription services like the World's Smallest Postal Service.
3. Art and Design - The World's Smallest Postal Service highlights the potential for innovative graphic design and art using micro printing technology.