In an effort to fight global poverty with women's empowerment, the Nike Foundation is launching the Girl Effect Accelerator in November. The purpose of the two week accelerator program is to help entrepreneurs whose business startups focus on helping adolescent girls facing poverty. The Girl Effect Accelerator is also possible due to a collaboration with the Unreasonable Group.
The business accelerator will increase the impact the new ventures are already having when it comes to women's empowerment and poverty-stricken girls. This will involve connecting 10 startups with strategic financing, world-class mentors and a support network. There will also be three entrepreneurs in residence who will help with scaling.
Empowering girls is a key part of breaking the cycle of poverty, which is why Nike has dubbed it The Girl Effect.
The Girl Effect Accelerator Focuses on Poverty and Women's Empowerment
1. Women's Empowerment Startups - The Girl Effect Accelerator's focus on startups that empower adolescent girls facing poverty presents an opportunity for other accelerators in supporting women-led businesses.
2. Strategic Financing for Social Impact Startups - The collaboration between Nike Foundation and Unreasonable Group highlights the potential for partnerships in providing strategic financing to startups focused on social impact.
3. Entrepreneur-in-residence Programs - The inclusion of an entrepreneur-in-residence program in The Girl Effect Accelerator shows potential for other accelerator programs to implement this model in order to provide additional support for startups.
1. Social Impact Investing - The Girl Effect Accelerator's focus on empowering adolescent girls facing poverty creates opportunities for impact investors and social venture capital firms.
2. Women's Health - The startups supported by The Girl Effect Accelerator are focused on addressing health and wellness needs of girls facing poverty, presenting opportunities for companies in women's health to collaborate or support.
3. Education - Education is a key component in breaking the cycle of poverty, and The Girl Effect Accelerator's focus on startups empowering adolescent girls facing poverty provides opportunities for collaboration or investment in education initiatives.