Walmart is launching the 'Vudu Spark' in hopes of encouraging consumers to use a cheaper alternative to stream their favorite content. The Vudu Spark resembles its competition in that it is a small device that plugs into a television's HDMI port and is controlled by a dedicated remote. Priced at just $24.95, it is cheaper then the Google Chromecast, Roku Streaming Stick and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Vudu is a Walmart-owned service that enables customers to rent television shows and movies. Unlike the devices that it competes against, the Vudu Spark is only capable of playing content from its website. The Vudu Spark can not be used to watch any other streaming services or even YouTube.
Currently there is a promotion that essentially makes the device free, purchasers will be given $25 in movie credits over a five-month period.
'Vudu Spark' Will Be Walmart's First Content Streaming Service
1. Affordable Content Streaming Devices - The launch of the Vudu Spark by Walmart presents an opportunity for companies to develop more affordable alternatives to popular streaming devices.
2. Exclusive Content Streaming Services - The limited functionality of the Vudu Spark highlights the potential for companies to create specialized streaming devices that offer exclusive content.
3. Promotional Bundles and Incentives - The promotion offering $25 in movie credits with the purchase of the Vudu Spark suggests an opportunity for businesses to explore creative promotions and incentives to attract customers.
1. Consumer Electronics - The introduction of affordable content streaming devices like the Vudu Spark creates opportunities for innovation in the consumer electronics industry.
2. Streaming Services - The limitations of the Vudu Spark open doors for streaming service providers to develop exclusive content and customize their own streaming devices.
3. Digital Entertainment - The promotional bundles and incentives associated with the Vudu Spark present potential for disruption in the digital entertainment industry, encouraging companies to explore new ways to attract and engage customers.