When it comes to sourcing a vegan egg replacement, plant-based consumers are most often forced to settle with products in either powdered or liquid forms that bear no resemblance to what chickens produce. However, a group of students in the Food Science and Technology program at Italy's University of Udine have successfully created an entirely plant-based hard-boiled egg substitute.
The gluten- and cholesterol-free egg is said to be made from "various legume-derived flours, vegetable oils, a sulfurous vegan salt, and a plant-based gelling agent."
Now that the year-long project to develop the vegan egg has finished, the students are set to work with companies to gauge interest in turning the inventive substitute into a consumer product.
Students from the University of Udine Created a Plant-Based Egg and Yolk
1. Plant-based Egg Substitutes - A growing demand for plant-based products presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to focus on developing alternative formulations of eggs with sustainable and animal-free ingredients.
2. Clean Label Ingredients - The increasing consumer demand for clean label ingredients paves the way for companies to develop egg substitutes using whole, minimally processed plant-based ingredients.
3. Sustainable Innovation - The focus on sustainability in the food industry indicates potential for disruptive innovation in creating sustainable plant-based egg substitutes that are biodegradable and have a reduced environmental impact.
1. Food Science and Technology - Food Science and Technology programs in universities have the potential to shape future food innovations, including plant-based egg substitutes.
2. Vegan Food Products - The growing market for vegan food products presents an opportunity for companies to develop plant-based egg substitutes to meet the needs of plant-based consumers.
3. Food Manufacturing - Food manufacturers can potentially collaborate with universities and research institutions to develop and mass-produce sustainable plant-based egg substitutes catering to environmentally conscious consumers.