Amsterdam's Mr. & Mrs. Watson is launching a first-of-its-kind vegan cheese wheel made from fava beans, which are fermented in the same way as traditional dairy cheese. The plant-powered cheese wheel is packed with protein, thanks to its main ingredient, and the product fills a void in the market for nutritious vegan cheese options made with traditional techniques.
The making of the gouda-style cheese begins with plant milk produced by locally grown fava beans, which are then fermented using live cultures. The liquid is then poured into traditional cheese molds, tapping into a centuries-old Dutch craft.
After raising €700,000 ($737,000 USD) in its first seed funding round, Mr. & Mrs. Watson are launching a second seed funding round to launch the vegan cheese wheels in Dutch supermarkets and specialty stores later this year.
Mr. & Mrs. Watson Created a Gouda-Style Cheese Wheel from Fava Beans
1. Fava Bean-based Vegan Cheese - The production of vegan cheese from fava beans fermented with live cultures presents an opportunity to disrupt the dairy and plant-based cheese industries.
2. Traditional Techniques for Vegan Cheese - Vegan cheese made using traditional techniques, such as pouring the fermented liquid into molds, is a trend disrupting the vegan cheese industry.
3. Nutritious Vegan Cheese Options - The demand for nutritious vegan cheese options is a trend that provides opportunities for disruption in the plant-based food industry.
1. Dairy Industry - The rise of fava bean-based vegan cheese alternatives creates a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies in the dairy industry to explore new plant-based products.
2. Plant-based Cheese Industry - The use of traditional cheese-making techniques for plant-based cheese production presents an innovative opportunity for companies in the plant-based cheese industry.
3. Specialty Food Industry - The introduction of a unique and nutritious vegan cheese made from fava beans presents an opportunity for companies in the specialty food industry to market and sell this new product to consumers.