As summer fast approaches, those who live in concrete jungles start dreaming of sandy beaches and turquoise waters. But with money tight and vacations expensive, those exotic locals may call, but you can’t answer. That’s when the urban beach steps in.
From Paris and Berlin to Toronto and New York, cities all over the globe have had great success with these sandy outposts where residents and tourists alike can come play volleyball, bask in the sun, dance to DJs, sip tropical concoctions and snack on beach treats. The Water Taxi Beach in New York’s Long Island City has been so wildly popular since opening in 2005 that this year it will get two siblings at the South Street Seaport and Governor’s Island respectively. So, even though Cap d’Antibes may not be on the agenda, you can still grab friends and some flip-flops and dip your toes in the sand while marveling at the city skyline.
Sandy Summer Oases for City Dwellers Around the World
1. Urban Beaches - Opportunity to create more urban beaches in cities around the world, offering residents and tourists a sandy oasis within city limits.
2. Socializing Spaces - Opportunity to transform urban beaches into vibrant socializing spaces by incorporating activities such as volleyball, DJ performances, and beach treats.
3. Alternative Vacationing - Opportunity to provide affordable vacation experiences for people living in urban areas through the concept of urban beaches.
1. Hospitality and Tourism - Disruptive innovation opportunity for the hospitality and tourism industry to tap into the growing demand for urban beach experiences.
2. Event Planning - Disruptive innovation opportunity for event planners to create unique and entertaining experiences at urban beaches, attracting both locals and tourists.
3. Real Estate Development - Disruptive innovation opportunity for real estate developers to incorporate urban beaches as attractive amenities in urban areas, increasing the value of properties.