Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional avenue of purchasing alcohol has shifted due to in-store travel restrictions. Places like Uncle Mikey's Bodega, a Korean-style restaurant beloved for its made-to-order, authentic food, have shifted to become wine shops and takeout food establishments in an effort to continue serving its customers.
The restaurant-turned-wine-shop boasts a "vast array of stellar sakes, and wines from cult producers like Italy’s Radikon and Austria’s Gut Oggau." Customers can go in person and browse the shelves, enjoying the eclectic ambiance, or opt to order via Ubereats or Ritual.
UncleMikey's Bodega is open on Wednesdays to Sundays from 12:00 PM to 9:30 PM and is located at 1597 Dundas St, W, in Toronto, Ontario.
Image Credit: Uncle Mikey’s Bodega
Uncle Mikey’s Bodega Has Transformed into a Wine Shop
1. Bodega-turned-wine-shops - Disruptive innovation opportunity for small retailers to pivot from traditional sales channels to wine retail in response to in-store travel restrictions.
2. Online Ordering and Food Delivery - Disruptive innovation opportunity for small retailers to use online ordering and food delivery apps like UberEats and Ritual in response to restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Specialized Wine Selection - Disruptive innovation opportunity for small retailers to differentiate themselves by offering a specialized wine selection from cult producers to cater to the more adventurous and sophisticated wine enthusiast.
1. Restaurants - Restaurants can pivot into wine retail to stay afloat amidst the COVID-19 restrictions and reach a wider audience by offering online ordering and delivery through third-party apps.
2. Small Retailers - Small retailers can pivot from traditional sales channels to wine retail, cater to the more sophisticated wine enthusiast and differentiate themselves through a more specialized wine selection.
3. Wine Industry - Wine producers, especially those in the niche market, can find new distribution channels through small retailers, and leverage online ordering and delivery services to reach a wider market.