This creative design called ‘Extend’ is the ultimate floating bookshelf. Other floating book shelves create ‘invisible’ shelving units that can be fixed to your wall. The Extend, however, is far more subtle than that. The white metal shelf can be clamped to the underside of your table so that the books can appear to be stuck together, defying gravity.
This design was executed by Japanese product designer Yasuko Furukawa and was unveiled at Milan Design week 2013. It can be easily clamped onto the underside of your table and can extend your book collection outwards into thin air. Seeing as this product is made of a thin layer of white metal, it’s virtually invisible.
The ‘Extend’ will make a quirky addition to anyone’s home who enjoys incorporating playfulness into their interiors. For such a simple product, the ‘Extend’ will certainly grab people’s attention and make a statement in your living area.
Extend by Yasuko Furukawa is the Ultimate Floating Book Shelf
1. Invisible Shelving - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop transparent shelving units that create the illusion of floating objects and defy gravity.
2. Playful Interiors - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Design furniture and home decor items that add a touch of playfulness and quirkiness to living spaces.
3. Under-table Storage - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create innovative ways to utilize the space underneath tables for storage purposes.
1. Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore new materials and designs that transform traditional furniture pieces into visually intriguing and functional objects.
2. Home Decor - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop unique home decor items that challenge conventional aesthetics and add an element of surprise and delight to interiors.
3. Product Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Combine functionality and creativity in product design to create visually stunning and whimsical objects like the 'Extend' bookshelf.