UK supermarket chain Morrisons has opened the country's first E85 fuel pump, supplying a mixture of 85% bioethanol and 15% petrol. The fuel can be used by cars manufactured by Ford and Saab.
Bioethanol can be made from agricultural products including sugar beet and grain and is expected to play a major role in reducing carbon dioxide emissions from automobiles. At least nine other nearby pumps are expected to open soon.
In January, construction began on what will become the UK's first bioethanol production facility. The plant, in Norfolk, will produce 70 million litres of biofuel each year from locally grown sugar beet.
1. Bioethanol Fuel - The increasing use of bioethanol fuel as an alternative to traditional petrol fuel.
2. Alternative Fuels - The adoption of a wider range of alternative fuels to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
3. Sustainable Energy - The shift towards sustainable energy sources in the auto industry.
1. Automotive - The production and adoption of cars that use bioethanol fuel.
2. Energy - The development and production of sustainable energy sources such as bioethanol fuel.
3. Agriculture - The cultivation of crops for use in the production of bioethanol fuel.