As part of an initiative with Philadelphia’s Mural Arts Program, artist Katharina Grosse playfully augmented the urban and natural sights that commuters are used to seeing on their daily commutes with a unique series of train art. Each "mural" was created by spraypainting over a section of earth or buildings along the train tracks, so that the experience of riding on the train is completely transformed.
Looking through a window of the train perfectly frames the spray painted objects, although they would be just as interesting and dynamic to look at as they whiz past the train in a blur of solid color. These installations were made with water-based paint, so that each of the installations was only temporary and would wash away over time.
Katharina Grosse's Train Art Playfully Colors the Sights You'd See on a Train
1. Spray-paint Installations - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop water-based spray paint technology for temporary installations in urban areas.
2. Transformative Commute Experiences - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create immersive art experiences for commuters using public transportation.
3. Blurring Art and Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the integration of art and architecture in urban environments.
1. Public Transportation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Enhance the commuting experience by integrating artistic elements into public transportation infrastructure.
2. Street Art - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop innovative techniques and materials for temporary street art installations.
3. Urban Planning - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate art and creative installations into urban planning to enhance the aesthetics and vibrancy of cities.