The Outs is a gay web series that is currently filming its fourth, fifth and sixth episodes. The series follows some gay New Yorkers through life and love (or lack thereof). The show has a Modern Family meets Seinfeld feel and is super funny. Episodes are filmed in and around Brooklyn and feature music from local bands and artists. The show was created by Adam Goldman who also acts in the series, writes the script and produces the show. He describes the show as “a character-driven comedy with heart about gay men.”
Production was funded by a Kickstarter campaign, and another Kickstarter campaign is planned to fund the rest of the series.
The Homosexual-Focused Web Series ‘The Outs’ is Shot in NYC
1. LGBTQ+ Web Series - The success and popularity of The Outs is indicative of a growing trend in producing web series centered around LGBTQ+ characters and storylines, providing a platform for underrepresented voices and experiences.
2. Crowdfunding for Web Series - The Outs' use of Kickstarter to fund production demonstrates the increasing trend of using crowdfunding platforms for web series productions, allowing creators to secure funding and maintain creative control.
3. Local Music in Web Series - The Outs' incorporation of Brooklyn-based musicians highlights the trend of featuring local and independent music in web series, providing exposure and opportunities for artists.
1. Entertainment Industry - The Outs exemplifies the disruption potential for traditional TV networks and studios with the rise of independently produced web series that cater to underserved audiences such as LGBTQ+ communities.
2. Crowdfunding Platforms - Kickstarter and similar fundraising platforms have disrupted traditional methods of financing film and television productions by offering creators and small production companies an alternative avenue for securing funding.
3. Independent Music Industry - The Outs showcases the potential for web series to provide opportunities for independent musicians to gain exposure and build their audiences in innovative ways outside of traditional music platforms.