The rustic, homemade and utilitarian chairs of the Shakers have been adapted to form the Hidden Chairs collection. In collaboration with the Ibride studio, Benoît Convers came up with a reinterpretation of the classic pieces that would appeal to the stimulation-seeking contemporary eye.
The wooden frame, bracing and supports of the iconic furnishings have been reworked into abstract and misshapen designs that strip the originals of all rationality. They've become completely distorted to the point of being unrecognizable and even difficult for the observer to make sense of with such extreme asymmetrical warping.
However, you can still get a glimpse of the "Hidden Chairs" within these pieces. When you view them from a particular angle, they begin to normalize in appearance and resemble those cleanly carved and meticulously assembled archetypes.
The Hidden Chairs Play with Your Perception of the Archetypal Object
1. Distorted Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore unconventional and asymmetric designs to create furniture that challenges traditional perceptions.
2. Reinterpretation of Traditional Pieces - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Reimagine classic and iconic furniture designs to appeal to modern aesthetics and stimulate contemporary audiences.
3. Perception-altering Designs - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Experiment with designs that appear distorted from certain angles but reveal their true form when viewed from a specific perspective.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introduce new manufacturing techniques and materials to create furniture that pushes the boundaries of traditional craftsmanship.
2. Interior Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Embrace unconventional and abstract furniture designs to create unique and visually striking interior spaces.
3. Art and Sculpture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Merge the worlds of art and furniture to create one-of-a-kind, perception-altering sculptural pieces that blur the line between functionality and aesthetics.