Founded in Portland, Oregon by Adam Boesel in 2008, the Green Microgym boasts retrofitted ellipticals, recumbent bikes, and spin bikes that turn the energy output by members during their workouts into energy harnessed by a generator connected to the grid, helping to power the building housing the gym. The Microgyms also uses solar power to help power their facilities.
Named as a reference to the city's abundance of microbreweries, the Green Microgym offers a local eco-friendly gym dedicated to cultivating greener communities as well as healthier lifestyles. The Green Microgym currently has two locations in Portland, and it is estimated that the Microgyms use 85% less electricity and have a carbon footprint that is one tenth that of a traditional gym, per square foot.
The Green Microgym website
The Green Microgym on Facebook
The Green Microgym on Twitter
The Green Microgym in Portland, OR is Powered by Your Workout
1. Energy-generating Fitness Clubs - The trend of energy-generating fitness clubs creates opportunities for gyms to differentiate themselves and appeal to eco-conscious consumers while also reducing their carbon footprint.
2. Sustainable Gym Equipment - The trend towards retrofitting gym equipment to generate energy presents an opportunity for manufacturers to develop and market sustainable fitness equipment.
3. Eco-friendly Communities - The trend of microgyms that focus on cultivating greener communities creates opportunities for entrepreneurs to develop community-oriented sustainable businesses.
1. Fitness Industry - The fitness industry has an opportunity to leverage the trend of energy-generating fitness clubs to drive customer acquisition by meeting the growing demand for eco-conscious fitness options.
2. Sustainability Industry - The sustainability industry can collaborate with gyms to provide green solutions such as renewable energy technology and efficient energy storage systems.
3. Community-based Businesses - The trend of community-oriented microgyms presents opportunities for entrepreneurs to develop sustainable businesses that benefit local communities while promoting health and wellness.