Designed by Xiang Guan, the FOLD is a compact packaging design meant for IKEA's 'HILVER' table that transforms the double corrugated cardboard into a folded stool. Inspired by the 30.5 million tons of household waste produced yearly in the United Kingdom, Guan turned to the idea of upcycling and repurposing waste. The result of this inspiration lead to the FOLD, which also gives the user a convenient seating option for their newly built table.
The FOLD is primarily constructed of the cardboard used in the HILVER packaging. The double corrugated construction allows the material to be folded easily, while also being quite stable and durable. After folding, the rest of the stool is bound together with rubber bands instead of glue, ensuring the seat is incredibly easy to assemble without any items that produce excess waste.
The FOLD is a Unique Piece of Cardboard Furniture Made from Packaging
1. Upcycled Packaging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore creative ways to repurpose packaging waste and transform it into new products.
2. Sustainable Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop furniture designs that prioritize sustainability by using eco-friendly materials and manufacturing processes.
3. Convenient DIY Seating - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create versatile seating options that are easy to assemble and convenient for users.
1. Packaging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Rethink packaging design to reduce waste and enable upcycling into functional products.
2. Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate sustainable materials and construction methods into furniture production to meet growing consumer demand for eco-friendly options.
3. Home Improvement - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop DIY solutions that offer convenience and simplicity for consumers when it comes to assembling furniture and home furnishings.