Those who want their pickups to be powered by electricity will only have to wait a handful of years for the Tesla electric truck to go on sale. Company founder Elon Musk took to Twitter to announce that a Tesla electric semi-truck would debut in September 2017 and that a light truck would be unveiled in 18 to 24 months. The pickup truck is the bigger news for consumers but the semi-truck may end up making Tesla more cash in the end. That's because the trucking industry has been mostly immune to change.You still need big, powerful diesel engines to haul all that weight. Environmentalists would obviously love to see that change, and if it cut costs trucking companies would too.
The Tesla electric truck and semi will both be tasked with carrying heavy loads, literally and metaphorically. Now that there's a timeline for the debut of both expect competitors to ramp up their efforts. Ford and GM aren't about to let the Tesla electric truck be the only eco pickup on the market.
Elon Musk Shares Debut Dates for Tesla Electric Truck and Semi
1. Electric Truck - The development and release of electric trucks presents an opportunity for disruptive innovation in the transportation industry.
2. Tesla Electric Truck - The debut of Tesla's electric truck and semi-truck will likely push competitors to accelerate their efforts in developing eco-friendly pickup trucks.
3. Eco Pickup Trucks - The growing demand for eco-friendly pickup trucks creates opportunities for disruptive innovation in the automotive industry.
1. Transportation - The transportation industry must explore the potential of electric trucks to minimize carbon emissions and reduce dependency on fossil fuels.
2. Automotive - Automakers need to invest in the development of eco-friendly pickup trucks to meet consumer demands and stay ahead in the market.
3. Energy - The rise of electric trucks opens up possibilities for the energy industry to provide charging infrastructure and renewable energy solutions.