While the pendent lamps created by Studio Drift may have a jellyfish-like look and butterfly-like action, they are in fact inspired by the relationship between flowers and bees. With this in mind, the ethereal aesthetic is transformed from gelatinously transparent to petal pretty while the dropping motion each lamp undergoes is reminiscent of a blossoming flower, not a butterfly emerging from a cocoon.
Created for 2012 Luminale, an architecture and design festival held in Frankfurt, Germany, Studio Drift designed three different lights: Flylight, Shylight and Fragile Future. Studio Drift made sure that each lamp had their own personality. For instance, Shylight is the one that drops down when in full blossom, but it flips up and retreats back into its shell at the slightest sense of danger.
Studio Drift's Lighting is Inspired by Flowers and Bees
1. Ethereal Lighting Design - There is an opportunity to create more sustainable and eco-friendly lighting design by incorporating natural and organic elements in light fixtures, such as those inspired by flowers and bees.
2. Personalized Light Fixtures - Designing light fixtures with unique personalities and behaviors can make them more appealing and marketable to consumers.
3. Interactive Lighting Features - Incorporating actions like Blossoming or Flipping make light fixtures more interactive and engaging to users, providing opportunity for innovative smart home solutions.
1. Interior Design - Incorporating sustainable and personalized lighting fixtures can enhance the interior design of living spaces.
2. Event Planning - Innovative lighting fixtures featuring interactive designs can transform event spaces, creating more immersive experiences and decor.
3. Smart Home Technology - Interactive Light features like Blossoming or Flipping can be developed into customizable and automated features of smart home systems, creating innovative solutions for homeowners.