Story Course NYC is a fully immersive dining event that uses musical theater to tell the story of an immigrant chef. This dining experience was created by Broadway actor Adam Kanto and Dinner Lab pop-up founder Brian Bordanick, with a menu designed by the story's subject, chef Jae Jung. The goal behind the project was to blend theater and food with the growing celebrity held by many chefs. The experience uses food as an element of storytelling, presented through a six-course meal.
The current production of Story Course NYC is focused on chef Jae Jung and is entitled 'How Do You Hug a Tiger?' The entire performance follows Jung's life, starting in South Korea and ending with her current success in New York City. The entire experience has been described as heartwarming and emotional and has been attended by celebrities such as Bryan Cranston. The courses presented during the performance change as the story progresses, and gradually, the flavors go from traditional Korean tastes to more American-inspired dishes.
Image Credit: Derek Min, Instagram @JEANIUSEATS, Story Course NYC
Story Course NYC Tells an Immersive Tale of Chef Jae Jung
1. Immersive Dining - Opportunity for restaurants and chefs to create immersive dining experiences that combine food with other art forms, such as theater.
2. Storytelling Through Food - Innovation opportunity for chefs and food establishments to use food as a medium for storytelling, creating unique dining experiences.
3. Blending Food and Entertainment - Potential for chefs and performers to collaborate and create experiences that combine culinary arts with other forms of entertainment.
1. Restaurants - Restaurants can explore immersive dining concepts, integrating other art forms to enhance the dining experience.
2. Event Planning - Event planners can incorporate storytelling elements into food-focused events, creating engaging and memorable experiences.
3. Performing Arts - Performing arts organizations can collaborate with chefs to create immersive performances that incorporate food and enhance audience engagement.