Mr. Sebens' fourth grade class set up a Kickstarter campaign to help them fund their very own solar-powered classroom. North Carolina teacher Aaron Sebens taught his class about the different types of renewable energy sources, and taught the kids that solar power is the cleanest way to generate electricity. This inspired the class to apply what they had learned and take their classroom off the grid.
Solar panels pay themselves off in the long run, but are a costly initial expense. To fund this ambitious project, the class took to Kickstarter with the goal of raising $500. The project was met with an overwhelming amount of support, exceeding their goal with over $8,000.
The efforts of this fourth grade class garnered enough attention to receive a tweet from President Obama, commending them for taking positive action towards climate change.
This Fourth Grade Class Built a Solar-Powered Classroom
1. Renewable Energy Classrooms - A trend of students at all grade-levels building classrooms powered by renewable energy sources.
2. Crowdfunding for Sustainable Classrooms - A trend of classroom sustainability projects being funded through crowdfunding platforms.
3. Educational Sustainability Projects - A trend of students taking on sustainability projects that benefit their local communities.
1. Education - Opportunities for schools and educators to incorporate renewable energy education and sustainable practices into curriculum and facilities.
2. Renewable Energy - Opportunities for renewable energy companies to partner with schools to create sustainable classrooms and educate students on renewable energy sources.
3. Crowdfunding - Opportunities for crowdfunding platforms to target sustainable and educational projects, providing a way for individuals and organizations to support these projects.