Scape Technologies is a computer vision startup company that is exploring different uses for location accuracy outside of GPS systems, and the company was recently purchased by Facebook. Facebook did not announce what it plans to do with the acquisition, however, Facebook did purchase a majority stake in the startup.
Scape Technologies was founded in 2017, and it was working to create a 'Visual Positioning Service' which would allow app creators better access to improved location accuracy. The startup was looking to use the 'Visual Positioning' Service' for augmented reality, however, the system could be used in a number of different capacities. Facebook could adapt the system in a number of different ways, including VR or other capacities.
Image Credit: Shutterstock
Facebook Recently Purchased a Majority Share in Scape Technologies
1. Visual Positioning Service - The trend of utilizing visual positioning services for improved location accuracy presents disruptive innovation opportunities for app creators and companies in the augmented reality industry.
2. Computer Vision - The trend of leveraging computer vision technology offers disruptive innovation opportunities for companies in various industries, including VR, robotics, and automation.
3. Acquisitions in Computer Vision - The trend of major players acquiring computer vision startups creates disruptive innovation opportunities in industries such as social media, e-commerce, and advertising.
1. Augmented Reality - The augmented reality industry can explore disruptive innovation opportunities by implementing visual positioning services to enhance location accuracy in AR apps.
2. Virtual Reality - The virtual reality industry can leverage computer vision technologies to create immersive and interactive VR experiences, leading to disruptive innovation opportunities.
3. Social Media - The social media industry can benefit from computer vision acquisitions by incorporating advanced image recognition and analysis tools to enhance user experiences and content monetization.