Many listeners might not know it, but a huge portion of the music that we listen to today -- be it hip-hop, electronic, or pop music in general -- is indebted to a single piece of hardware: the Roland TR-808. Not since the pianoforte has a single musical instrument had such a profound impact on the history of music as a whole, and a new documentary called '808' is exploring that modern sound.
The Roland TR-808 was the first widely used electronic music machine to allow producers to create drum beats with a variety of sounds and samples. Though the machine was discontinued in the late 80s, it revolutionized how producers would create hip-hop and electronic music for years to come.
'808' Will Chronicle the Roland TR-808's Impact on Music History
1. Electronic Music Revolution - The documentary '808' highlights the profound impact of the Roland TR-808 on music and opens opportunities for advanced electronic music production.
2. Rise of Music Technology - The Roland TR-808's history can inspire the creation of more innovative music technology and raise the bar for music production.
3. Digital Music Economy - The '808' documentary can influence the burgeoning digital music industry by showcasing how technology has shifted music consumption and creation processes.
1. Music Production - The Roland TR-808's impact inspires music production companies to create more advanced technology in electronic music, ultimately enhancing the music recording process.
2. Music Education - The '808' documentary opens up opportunities for online music education by encouraging students to learn about the history of music technology and innovation.
3. Film Production - The success of music documentaries such as '808' illustrate interest in this genre and the film industry can capitalize on producing documentaries that showcase the evolution of technology in music over time.