The Ribs bench by Stefan Lie is designed for Sydney-based studio DesignByThem and is now in production. The flexible spine was originally rendered in timber, but has now been reimagined for outdoor spaces in powder-coated aluminum. This material is light and easy to move, yet durable enough to withstand the elements.
The release comes after Lie created a limited-edition version of the Ribs bench in 2003 when producing something this intricate was a challenge. With today's technology, Lie's design can be mass-produced and sold to consumers.
Its spine-like nature has an adaptive skeletal form, which can be positioned and used in different ways. Resembling a ribcage, the outdoor bench is available in bone white, light gray, black, or navy finishings. For more of a sedentary location, the bench is also available with a fixed spine.
Image Credit: Dezeen
Stefan Lie Designs A Flexible Outdoor Bench
1. Modular Outdoor Furniture - Designing flexible outdoor furniture that can be arranged and rearranged for different functions and layouts.
2. Powder-coated Aluminum Furniture - Using powder-coated aluminum to create lightweight, weather-resistant outdoor furniture that is easy to move and durable.
3. Adaptive Skeletal Designs - Using organic and skeletal forms that can be repositioned and adapted for different uses and settings in furniture design.
1. Outdoor Furniture - The outdoor furniture industry can explore new materials and flexible designs to create adaptable outdoor seating solutions.
2. Manufacturing - Manufacturing companies can invest in technology to produce intricate and complex designs like the Ribs bench at a mass-production scale.
3. Interior Design - Interior designers can incorporate modular and adaptable outdoor furniture to create functional and stylish outdoor living spaces.