Crosby Studios plays around with color, shape, inspiration and texture for its purple furniture collection. With the recurring hand motif and thin-shaped frames, the 2018 capsule takes cues from a variety of places -- from the dream-like and dysmorphic aesthetic of surrealism to the playful and abstractive ambiance of cartoons.
Upon further inspection, it seems that Crosby Studios' absurdist purple furniture collection is not only inspired by movements but actual people that artistically thrived in those times. The hand-shaped chair, for example, "takes cues from Mexican artist Pedro Friedeberg," while the similarly themed delicate light fixtures "make reference to French mid-century designer Serge Mouille's spider lamp." In addition to its purple furniture collection, Crosby Studios created merchandise for a collaboration with fashion brand Opening Ceremony.
Photo Credits: Mikhail Loskutov, courtest of Opening Ceremony
Crosby Studios' 2018 Line Debuts at the NYCxDesign Festival
1. Colorful Furniture - There is an opportunity for disruptive innovation in the furniture industry by creating bold and vibrant furniture collections like Crosby Studios' absurdist purple collection.
2. Artistic Inspiration - Exploring different art movements and drawing inspiration from notable artists opens up possibilities for disruptive innovation in furniture design, as demonstrated by Crosby Studios' reference to Pedro Friedeberg and Serge Mouille.
3. Fashion Collaborations - The collaboration between Crosby Studios and Opening Ceremony shows how partnerships between furniture companies and fashion brands can lead to unique and innovative merchandise, presenting opportunities for disruptive innovation.
1. Furniture - The furniture industry can leverage the popularity of eccentric and colorful furniture designs to drive innovation and meet the demand for bold and unique pieces.
2. Art - The art industry can explore new possibilities by collaborating with furniture designers to create pieces that pay homage to renowned artists and contemporary art movements.
3. Fashion - The fashion industry can expand its product offerings by partnering with furniture companies to create innovative merchandise that combines fashion and interior design.