BuzzFeed, the Internet media, news and entertainment company, is venturing into new territory with a printed newspaper publication that will be shared for one day only. The one-off 12-page publication was distributed in New York City by BuzzFeed with the intention "to put some joy in the physical world,” according to BuzzFeed CMO Ben Kaufman.
The offline publication features a cover story on the Momo Challenge, articles on 'Generation Burnout' and a back cover with coupon codes that will be tracked to measure their success.
Like BuzzFeed, many Internet companies that do not need to rely on traditional forms of advertising are now exploring everything from commercials and magazines to brick-and-mortar pop-ups and permanent stores.
BuzzFeed Distributed a One-Off Printed Newspaper Publication in NYC
1. Physical Media Revival - The one-off printed newspaper publication by BuzzFeed signals a revival of physical media in the digital age, presenting opportunities for new print-based content and advertising strategies.
2. Experiential Marketing - Internet companies venturing into offline publications and physical stores like BuzzFeed are engaging in experiential marketing, creating unique and memorable experiences that differentiate from competitors and foster customer loyalty.
3. Multichannel Strategy - The exploration of traditional media channels by Internet companies like BuzzFeed indicates a shift towards a multichannel approach, leveraging both online and offline platforms for broader audience reach and engagement.
1. Print and Publishing - The one-off printed newspaper publication by BuzzFeed presents opportunities for innovation within the print and publishing industry, such as creating unique and collectible print products that cater to niche audiences.
2. Advertising and Marketing - The convergence of online and offline strategies by Internet companies like BuzzFeed requires innovative approaches to advertising and marketing that effectively bridge the gap between digital and physical channels.
3. Media and Entertainment - The exploration of physical media by Internet companies represents disruptive innovation opportunities for the media and entertainment industry, as they search for new ways to engage and monetize their audiences.