Trend Hunter's President of Research Shelby Walsh recently shared her insights for the newest rising craze in the Gen Z and millennial demographic, using Automated Emotion to entice consumers to engage with various services.
According to Walsh, brands are leveraging intensives like game play, prizes and scoring points to encourage activity from consumers. From apps like Tinder to wearable tech like the Moodmetric mood ring, Gen Z and millennials have more ability to track their health, calorie intake and emotions with interactive, intutive and amusing products. Looking to the future, gamification will simplify and completely revolutionize how we engage with primal tasks like dating, exercising and eating well.
The next big thing? The gamification of your emotion
"It’s no secret that millennials and Gen Z are comfortable gamifying their lives. They go to bed with their smartphones to observe sleeping cycles over time and wear FitBits to track calories burned throughout the day. They even gamify their love lives by swiping left or right to an endless sea of faces on Tinder.
Gamification of everyday life is increasingly prevalent and permeates far beyond the realm of physical health and fitness routines. Now we’re actively tracking and gamifying their emotion. Trend Hunter's consumer insights research has labelled this phenomenon ‘automated emotion.’"
Read the full article in The Globe and Mail HERE.
1. Automated Emotion - The rising trend of using game play, prizes and scoring points to encourage consumer activity introduces disruptive innovation opportunities to simplify and revolutionize everyday tasks like dating, exercising and eating well.
2. Gamification - Gamification of everyday life is increasingly prevalent, and the trend of gamifying emotion introduces disruptive innovation opportunities to simplify and revolutionize how we track and manage our emotions.
3. Wearable Technology - The use of wearable tech devices like the Moodmetric mood ring introduces disruptive innovation opportunities to further integrate gamification and automated emotion tracking into consumer routines.
1. Technology - The technology industry can leverage the gamification of emotion and automated emotion tracking to create new engaging products and services that promote consumer activity and simplify everyday tasks.
2. Health and Fitness - The health and fitness industry can capitalize on the trend of gamifying emotion and automated emotion tracking to develop new, interactive, and intuitive products that help consumers better manage their emotional and mental wellbeing.
3. Fashion and Jewelry - The fashion and jewelry industry can explore the opportunity of integrating wearable technology to develop fashion-forward products that incorporate the trend of automated emotion tracking and gamification into daily wearables.