Built in late 2017, the three-storey high pop-up bookstore for Hauser & Wirth is a relevant and interesting design that should be taken into consideration. The project sought out to "communicated the ethos" of the company through publications, selected artist products and stories of its history. The wooden structure is not only a bookworm's dream, but is also a point of inspiration to those pursuing architecture as a profession.
Dongqi Architects based the design of the pop-up bookstore pavilion on the Granary Shed— "a traditional English grain store which sits elevated by Staddle stones at the Hauser & Wirth gallery in Somerset, England." This allows the structural design to not only be built for the publishing house, but also to be closely intertwined with its history.
Additionally, grasses and flowers were injected into the design as a subordinate to the welcoming ambiance of the wooden material of the pop-up bookstore and the books themselves.
Photo Credits: Raitt Liu
Dongqi Architects Created a Detailed Pavilion for H & W
1. Pop-up Bookstores - The rise of pop-up bookstores presents an opportunity for businesses to create immersive and unique retail experiences.
2. Architectural Design Integration - Integrating architectural design concepts into retail spaces can create visually striking and engaging environments that enhance the overall customer experience.
3. Nature-inspired Aesthetics - Incorporating natural elements and aesthetics in retail design can create a sense of tranquility and appeal to customers seeking a harmonious shopping experience.
1. Publishing - Publishing companies can leverage pop-up bookstores to showcase their offerings and connect with readers in unconventional ways.
2. Architecture - Architects have the opportunity to fuse their design expertise with the retail industry by creating unique pop-up bookstores that showcase their creativity and ability to create immersive spaces.
3. Retail - Retail industry players can explore nature-inspired designs and concepts to create inviting and aesthetically pleasing spaces that elevate the shopping experience.