As city infrastructures slowly develop sustainable energy sources, architect Peter Kuczia joins the initiative by creating a photovoltaic pathway dubbed the Solar Veloroute. This multifunctional pathway will create energy to power on-site charging stations and lighting. The surplus energy collected will be distributed to other sustainable city infrastructures such as electric car charging stations and smart benches.
Solar Veloroute is a partly enclosed structure with a rounded archway constructed from overlaid non-reflective glass solar panels. Kuczia, the brain behind the project, explains that "Just one kilometer of [Solar Veloroute] could provide around 2,000 MWh of electricity and could power 750 households or provide electricity for more than 1,000 electric cars driving 11,000 km per year.”
Image Credit: Yanko Design
This Solar-Powered Pathway Creates Energy for City Infrastructure
1. Solar Pathways - Creating photovoltaic pathways that generate energy for sustainable city infrastructure presents opportunities for sustainable energy initiatives.
2. Multifunctional Pathways - Designing pathways that can generate energy to power on-site charging stations and lighting is an innovative solution for sustainable energy generation.
3. Distributed Energy Networks - Implementing systems to distribute surplus energy collected from photovoltaic pathways to other sustainable city infrastructures, such as electric car charging stations and smart benches, presents new possibilities for sustainable energy systems.
1. Architecture and Construction - There is an opportunity for architects and construction professionals to design and construct photovoltaic pathways for sustainable energy generation in cities.
2. Sustainable Energy - The adoption of photovoltaic pathways for sustainable energy generation presents new opportunities for sustainable energy companies to provide innovative products and solutions.
3. Smart City Technology - The integration of distributed energy networks and sustainable city infrastructure presents opportunities for companies specializing in smart city technology and innovation.