Personal Cloud is an installation, unveiled at the UAE Government Summit, that sprays passersby with cooling and refreshing mist. Misting installations are not altogether new in hot countries, but what's unique about this one is that it doesn't mist continually but only mists when it detects passersby. The installation was conceived by the Carlo Ratti Associati architectural practice.
Personal Cloud consists of a horde of tubes hanging from a canopy. It is equipped with ultrasonic sensors that detect when people move underneath them by measuring the amount of time it takes for the ultrasound signal to be sent and the echo received back.
What's great about this installation is that the technology it uses has been around forever -- ultrasonic sensors are not new -- but it applies them in a unique and sustainable way.
The Personal Cloud Sprays People Walking Below it With a Cooling Mist
1. Smart Misting Installations - Opportunity to create more innovative and sustainable misting installations with sensors and other technologies.
2. Responsive Urban Architecture - Trend towards architecture that interacts with and responds to people and the environment.
3. Eco-friendly Cooling Solutions - Demand for cooling solutions that are both effective and environmentally responsible.
1. Hospitality - Hotels and resorts can use misting installations as a unique and refreshing way to cool guests and enhance the guest experience.
2. Public Spaces - Parks, plazas, and outdoor gathering places can use misting installations to provide relief from hot weather and attract more visitors.
3. Event Planning - Event planners can incorporate misting installations as a memorable and practical way to keep guests cool and comfortable at outdoor events.