If you've been on the Internet lately, chances are you've noticed that every online circle seems to use hashtags like they're going out of style.
The prevalence of hashtags all over the Internet poses some interesting questions, such as how did this hashtag craze start? This infographic from Online Circle answers that question and more while exploring the history of the hashtag in general. For instance, the first program to support hashtags was formerly a super popular chat program called ICQ, which is the first time I've thought about ICQ since the late 1990s. While the hashtag is generally thought of as part of a Twitter experience, other social media networks are jumping onto the hashtag train, including photo sharing service Flickr, YouTube, Kickstarter and rumor has it Facebook is going to be next on the docket.
What's really interesting is that according to the infographic, Brazil of all nations is the second biggest user of hashtags. Who's first? The United States of course.
This 'Online Circle' Infographic Explores the History of the Hashtag
1. Expanding Use of Hashtags - With hashtags being adopted by more social media networks, businesses have an opportunity to expand their social media reach through the use of hashtags.
2. Global Use of Hashtags - With Brazil being the second biggest user of hashtags after the US, businesses should consider incorporating global hashtag campaigns to reach a wider audience.
3. Historical Insights for Hashtags - Businesses can gain insights into the history and evolution of hashtags by exploring infographics and other resources, which can inform their social media strategies.
1. Social Media - Social media platforms have an opportunity to innovate by exploring new ways to incorporate hashtags into their platforms or by enhancing existing hashtag functionalities.
2. Marketing - Incorporating custom and trending hashtags can be a powerful marketing tool for businesses, enabling them to connect with customers and reach a wider audience.
3. Technology - As hashtags become more mainstream and increasingly incorporated into technology, businesses can find innovative ways to leverage the power of data analysis and artificial intelligence to explore hashtag trends.