The Nike BIKETOWN program is a joint initiative between the brand and its hometown, the city of Portland. Long known as the cycling capital of America, Portland's bike scene has an infrastructure unlike any other North American city, making a bike-share program a no-brainer.
The eccentric bright orange bicycles are expected to launch in July, while there will also be designated BIKETOWN stations throughout the Greater Portland Area to also be designed by Nike. The bike themselves taken inspiration from Nike's iconic orange and grey sneaker boxes, while there will be 1,000 of them in the program altogether.
The Nike BIKETOWN program includes a pledge of $10 million over five years from the brand, making it the latest in the brand's investments back into the Portland community.
Nike BIKETOWN is a Joint Initiative with the City of Portland
1. Branded Bike-share Station Design - There is an opportunity for companies to partner with cities to design custom bike-share stations that reflect their brand and city's culture.
2. Limited Edition Branded Bicycles - Companies can release limited edition bicycles that not only reflect their brand but also become a collectible item for enthusiasts.
3. Corporate Social Responsibility Investment - Investing in bike-share programs can be a way for companies to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability and community involvement.
1. Sportswear - Sportswear companies like Nike have an opportunity to invest in bike-share programs that align with their branding and promote a healthy lifestyle.
2. Urban Planning - Urban planning firms can partner with companies to design bike-share programs that work within the infrastructure of a city's public transportation system.
3. Collectibles - Companies can create limited edition bicycles that become a collectible item, appealing to enthusiasts and collectors alike.