With her video 'Parking Lot' and album dropping today, many people are eager to see what Nelly Furtado has been working on and how she has grown creatively. The Canadian singer/songwriter/producer has had a successful career in the music industry for over ten years and has collaborated with icons such as K-Os, Tiësto and Timbaland.
To learn more about where she came from and where she's going with her career, we sat down with Furtado.
8 Questions with Nelly Furtado
1. How did you first get involved in music?
I started singing in Portuguese with my mother at four years old.
2. What motivates you to continue working in the music industry?
Passion for the emotional potential of music as a healing salve for the world.
3. What is an important trend you are seeing in the music industry?
K-pop -- it’s breaking down international musical borders.
4. Where do you get your inspiration from?
My mistakes, flaws, and transgressions.
5. Do you have any rituals to reset yourself to be creative?
Nature walks, Twitter and phone collapse, generally being “off the grid,” listening to new music, and going to plays, theatre, and dance shows and art galleries. Being around the creativity of friends.
6. How do you spot trends?
Talking to people, going out, online, psychic abilities.
7. What are your most important hobbies?
NBA basketball fandom brings me immense joy, so does my appreciation for visual art, and modern dance, reading [as well as] jump rope.
8. What other artist(s) do you admire and why?
Madonna and Ani DiFranco because they embody authentic individuality and rebellion.