Atelier Masōmī—the design studio headed by Nigerian architect Mariam Issoufou Kamara—recently unveiled the striking plans for an art museum in Senegal. Titled the 'Bët-bi' museum, the cultural institution is located near the city of Kaolack.
Atelier Masōmī has presented five triangular volumes that are segmented into two distinct groups. These two groups are connected by a walkway. The studio drew inspiration for the structure's silhouette from the ancient megaliths, which are large stones used to construct a prehistoric structure or monument, in the area. Atelier Masōmī has announced that it plans to use "sustainable and traditional methods of building" during the construction of this art museum in Senegal. The Bët-bi museum will house contemporary and historic African art, with a focus on sub-Saharan Africa.
Image Credit: Atelier Mas?m?
Atelier Masōmī’s Designs the Bët-bi Museum in Senegal
1. Contemporary African Art Museums - Architects are designing contemporary geometric museums that showcase Africa's rich artistic heritage.
2. Sustainable Methods of Construction - Sustainability is at the forefront of museum designs, with architects opting for traditional construction methods.
3. Megalithic Architecture Inspiration - Designs draw inspiration from ancient megaliths such as those found in Africa, paving the way for innovative modern designs.
1. Art and Culture - Art institutions are becoming more innovative with their designs, creating new spaces for the display of art.
2. Architecture and Design - Architecture firms are exploring new ways to create unique museum designs while incorporating traditional and sustainable methods.
3. Tourism - These contemporary museums present new tourist destinations for art enthusiasts visiting Africa.