It is usually the case that when designing modern cottages, architects begin from scratch. However, the Nick Deaver firm truly put effort and imagination in creating a contemporary exterior for this 1930s bungalow in Austin, Texas.
To communicate the uniform and clean ambiance of modern cottages, the architects reinforced and expanded the space with reused galvanized metal and glass. The new design made it possible for the installation of a dining room area, a contemporary-inspired fire place and sizable windows. The industrial and rustic exterior of the metallic material is graciously met by the transparent and natural light-enabling presence of the floor-to-ceiling windows.
To add to the wilderness component, the L-shaped building is arranged around a canopy of existing oak trees. As far as modern cottages go, this refurbished 1930s structure is sure to offer a well-deserved escape.
Photo Credits: Casey Dunn
Nick Deaver Architects Reinforce This Structure with Metal and Glass
1. Modern Cottage Design - Architects are reinventing traditional cottage design with contemporary exterior finishes and unique features.
2. Sustainable Materials in Architecture - There is an increased focus on using reused and eco-friendly materials in architecture to create modern and environmentally sustainable structures.
3. Integration of Nature in Urban Architecture - Architecture is being designed with a focus on preserving natural elements and incorporating them into modern urban environments.
1. Architecture and Design - Architects and designers have the opportunity to create modern spaces while also prioritizing eco-friendliness and integration of natural elements.
2. Construction and Materials Industry - The demand for sustainable and eco-friendly building materials is increasing, providing opportunities for the development and manufacturing of new products.
3. Real Estate and Property Management - Builders and property managers can cater to the growing interest in modern cottages by incorporating unique design features and eco-friendly materials into their properties.