Metal foam seems like an impossible material but let me assure you that this substance actually exists. Not to be confused with steel wool or a heavy duty kitchen sponge, metal foam is a material that can absorb large impacts with very little damage.
North Carolina State University's Dr. Afsaneh Rabiei has discovered the strongest form of this damage resistant material. This strong metal foam has the ability to compress up to 80% of its initial shape, yet retain its original size.
This innovation is especially exciting to automakers since it can protect the drivers and passengers far better than before.
Get Metal Foam for Protection, Not Heavy Duty Kitchen Spills
1. Metal Foam Protection - The development of Dr. Rabiei's strong metal foam material has numerous opportunities to replace traditional materials for impact protection across industries.
2. Damage Resistant Materials - The creation of metal foam has opened a new area for research on developing materials that can absorb large impacts with little damage in various applications.
3. Impact Resistant Materials - The potential for using metal foam in industries requiring high-impact resistance, such as construction and aerospace, is substantial.
1. Automotive - Metal foam can provide much safer cars, trucks, and other vehicles by protecting drivers and passengers during accidents.
2. Construction - Metal foam could be used to develop more durable, impact-resistant buildings and materials.
3. Aerospace - There's a possibility of using metal foam in aerospace technology to construct stronger, lighter materials for producing spacecraft that can protect against high-velocity debris.