Launched by the BC Care Providers Association (BCCPA), 'Aging with Pride' is a much-needed LGBTQ support program that seeks to bring education and awareness to the retirement community. As it is estimated that "between three and 10 percent of the populations [identifies] as gay, bisexual, queer, two-spirited, or transgender," an initiative like this is of much importance.
The LGBTQ support program seeks to not only provide various resources, sensitivity training, and education about taking care of diverse and non-conforming groups of people, but it also aims to also create "a database of queer-competent homes," which will surely allow LGBTQ seniors to feel more safe and secure when choosing their continuous care provider. Taking into consideration that some of these individuals experience alienation from their families, a strong and inclusive support system will definitely be a big win.
Aging with Pride Educates Continuing Care Facilities About Diversity
1. Lgbtq-inclusive Senior Care - Aging with Pride brings education and awareness to the retirement community, providing resources, sensitivity training, and a database of queer-competent homes for LGBTQ seniors.
2. Diversity Training in Care Facilities - Aging with Pride highlights the importance of diversity and sensitivity training in continuing care facilities, providing opportunities for disruptive innovation and improved patient care.
3. Queer-competent Home Databases - 'Aging with Pride' creates a database of 'queer-competent homes' for LGBTQ seniors to feel safe and secure, opening up opportunities for innovation in residential care industries.
1. Senior Care Industry - The 'Aging with Pride' program is an industry-wide innovation that acknowledges and supports the unique needs and desires of LGBTQ seniors.
2. Continuing Care Facilities - Continuing care facilities have the opportunity to disrupt the status quo by investing in diversity and sensitivity training that caters to the LGBTQ community.
3. Residential Care Providers - The creation of a database of 'queer-competent homes' disrupts the residential care provider industry by providing a new standard for inclusivity and safety for LGBTQ seniors.