The LG Rollable smartphone is an expanding mobile device focused on a new kind of user experience to build on the existing capabilities of today's solutions.
The smartphone maintains a relatively unassuming design with an aesthetic that looks like many of the existing models on the market today. The display, however, will expand from 6.8-inches to 7.4-inches to provide a mini tablet-like experience when desired. This provides users with the ability to shift between modes according to the task at hand.
The LG Rollable smartphone keeps the expanded section of the display hidden inside the body when not in use to protect it from everyday damage. The smartphone won't be commercially available given that LG has shut down it's mobile division, but identifies how it might've changed the market if ever formally released.
The LG Rollable Expands into a 7.4-Inch Tablet
1. Expanding Rollable Displays - Rollable displays will continue to be developed to provide a hybrid smartphone and tablet experience.
2. Multi-functional Mobile Devices - Mobile devices will increasingly provide users with the ability to shift between modes according to the task at hand.
3. Protected Expandable Displays - Devices will continue to utilize designs that protect the expanded section of the display when not in use.
1. Consumer Electronics - Rollable displays provide opportunities for innovation in personal and mobile devices.
2. Mobile Device Manufacturing - Expanding and transforming display technology will continue to be a point of competitive differentiation.
3. Telecommunications - As the line between smartphones and tablets continue to blur, there will be opportunities for new services and offerings for mobile users.