Greek-born, London-based designer Lina Patsiou has created a series of leather clocks inspired by the way the material interacts with the sun. Like human skin, leather darkens significantly after prolonged sun exposure.
Patsiou explains, "I was in London when I was developing the project and waiting for a sunny day to do some experimenting did not seem like a good idea. So I thought to try with a solarium, even though I didn't really expect it to work. But it did!"
The Sunclocks collection features three different designs, each inspired by a distinct sunlight manifestation. One clock is split evenly down the center, with one side paler than the other. Another one features four segments, with the top sections tanner.
Lina Patsiou's Leather Clocks Feature the Effects of the Sun
1. Leather Aging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop new methods or materials to speed up or slow down the aging process of leather, creating unique and customized products.
2. Sunlight-inspired Designs - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create products and designs that are inspired by the natural effects of sunlight on different materials, such as textiles or plastics.
3. Solar-powered Creations - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the integration of solar technology into various products, allowing them to harness energy from the sun for functional or decorative purposes.
1. Fashion and Accessories - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Merge traditional craftsmanship with innovative aging techniques to create one-of-a-kind leather fashion and accessory items.
2. Interior Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate sunlight-inspired patterns and materials into furniture and decor pieces, providing a unique and evolving aesthetic for spaces.
3. Renewable Energy - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop solar-powered products that merge functionality with design, encouraging the use of clean energy sources in everyday objects.