The Lacoste Fall 2014 New York Fashion Week collection took a subtle approach to interpreting golf as its inspiration. The subdued approach simplified classic elements from fashion seen on the green like plaids and argyles into bold, oversized patterns.
Lacoste’s wife and daughter are golf champions and Lacoste himself is familiar with the game. A visit to France’s Chantaco golf course constructed by René Lacoste’s father-in-law in the 1920s was what sparked the inspiration for this collection — clearly the interest in the sport runs in the family.
The New York Fashion Week collection for men and women was quite sporty and practical for cooler weather, with zippers, pockets and belts becoming the focal points of head-to-toe in looks in colors like deep red, blue, green and beige.
The Lacoste Fall 2014 Fashions Take Inspiration from the Golf Green
1. Sport-inspired Fashion - More designers can take inspiration from sports to create fashionable yet practical clothing with sporty elements.
2. Subdued Patterns - A trend towards subtle, oversized patterns that simplify classic fashion elements can be seen in various industries beyond sports apparel.
3. Practical Winter Wear - Creating winter wear with practical features like zippers, pockets, and belts can be a disruptive innovation opportunity for design and fashion companies.
1. Fashion - The fashion industry can take inspiration from sports to create unique and practical designs for everyday wear.
2. Sports Apparel - Sports apparel companies can focus on creating clothing with subdued but bold patterns to stand out in a crowded market.
3. Outdoor Wear - Design and fashion companies can create practical winter wear with sporty elements suitable for outdoor activities like hiking and skiing.