Founded in 2009 by both Maxandra Short and Amy Walker, KORA Designs is another social business that has closed down in recent months, more specifically, on January 1 of this year. Although quite a different social enterprise, Cycle Chalao, located in Mumbai, India, lacked government suport in order to continue its bicycle sharing scheme in urban areas.
Since SocialBusiness.org is about raising awareness about hybrid organizations -- its success, failures, beginnings and ends -- KORA is learning took. The jewelry accessories, which were made with found materials that would otherwise be thrown away, were created by artisans in Ghana, Kenya and Rwanda and supported sustainable business development.
KORA Designs website
KORA on Facebook
KORA on Tumblr
KORA Designs Worked with Artisans in Kenya, Rwanda and Ghana
1. Sustainable Jewelry - Opportunity to innovate eco-friendly and responsible production techniques for the jewelry industry.
2. Social Enterprises in Africa - Opportunity to build more businesses that promote sustainable economic growth and innovation in African countries.
3. Circular Economy - Opportunity to explore circular economy principles by repurposing found materials to create innovative products.
1. Jewelry - Opportunity to adopt sustainable production practices that promote ethical sourcing and eco-friendly manufacturing methods.
2. Social Entrepreneurship - Opportunity for entrepreneurs and investors to support sustainable social enterprises that create positive impact in local communities.
3. Waste Management - Opportunity to explore innovative solutions for waste management by repurposing found materials and reducing environmental impact in the fashion industry.