Rachael Victoria Adams of Nouveau Motley makes an assortment of breathtaking jewelry from found objects and watch parts that play into the steampunk and neo-Victorian style, but can also be worn by anyone who wishes to make a statement.
The most unique pieces, I find, are what she calls “Kafka Clocks.” They are made using recycled watch cases, both modern and some antique, which are used to showcase a diorama of ingenuity that is both manmade and of Mother Nature’s own creation.
These little watch cases are thus transformed into miniature shadowboxes housing an assortment of intricate antique pocket watch movements and gears, natural insect specimens and natural precious and semi-precious gems. These tiny works of art can be worn as pendants, chokers, hatbands, bracelets, or even belts depending on the design.
The creation of these minuscule beauties is an elaborate process that often takes weeks to complete. Rachael pins (positions) the insects herself and then puts them through a special process to ensure their longevity when worn. Her 2D design training is obvious in the composition of these truly unique and one of a kind pieces.
‘Kafka Clocks' From Noveau Motley Are Like Mini Shadowboxes
1. Steampunk Jewelry - Innovative use of recycled watch cases, natural insect specimens and antique watch movements in jewelry creation
2. Neo-victorian Fashion - Growing trend of fashion styles inspired by and incorporating Victorian-era designs with modern elements
3. Sustainable Fashion - Increasing demand for environmentally friendly fashion accessories made from recycled materials and natural specimens
1. Jewelry Making - Opportunity for jewelers to incorporate sustainable, environmentally conscious materials and designs into their creations
2. Fashion Design - Opportunity for fashion designers to incorporate unique, one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry into their Neo-Victorian fashion lines
3. Insect Preservation - Growing demand for innovative ways to use and preserve insects and other natural specimens in art and fashion industries