A new indoor ice skating facility has opened its doors in Québec City. The structure has an enormous spatial footprint and is considered to be the largest of its kind in North America. The facilities alone boast 13,500 square meters of ice for athletes to indulge in. One surveys an oval-shaped exterior that is "composed of fluid and continuous forms that reflect the speed, dynamism, balance, and skill of a skater gliding on the center’s 13,500 square meters of ice."
The project was undertaken by the Montreal-based architectural firm Lemay in September of 2021. It is titled The Centre de Glaces de Québec. The indoor ice skating facilities offered are eclectic. The building includes separate rinks for ice hockey and figure skating, as well as full-sized and short-track speed skating tracks.
Image Credit: Stephane Groleau
Lemay Designs the Largest Indoor Skating Facility in North America
1. Massive Indoor Skating Facilities - As indoor ice skating facilities continue to grow in size, there are opportunities for designers and architects to create innovative and dynamic structures.
2. Multi-purpose Skating Rinks - As skating facilities offer separate rinks for ice hockey, figure skating, and speed skating tracks, there are opportunities for entrepreneurs to create more diverse and immersive skating experiences.
3. Sustainable Skating Arenas - As the demand for indoor ice skating facilities continues to rise, there are opportunities for eco-conscious designers and architects to create sustainable skating arenas that reduce the environmental impact of traditional ice rinks.
1. Architecture - Architectural firms have an opportunity to design cutting-edge indoor ice skating facilities that push the boundaries of what is possible.
2. Sports and Entertainment - As indoor ice skating facilities become larger and more diverse in their offerings, there are opportunities for entrepreneurs to create new and exciting sports and entertainment experiences for consumers.
3. Sustainability - As demand for indoor ice skating facilities continues to rise, there are opportunities for businesses to create sustainable solutions that reduce the environmental impact of traditional ice rinks.